The High-Level Global Conference on Inclusive Youth Peace Process will be held virtually from January 19-21, 2022, co-hosted by the State of Qatar, the governments of Finland and Colombia, and co-hosted with civil society and United Nations partners.
1) Plenary session 4: Emerging directions of the implementation of the Youth, Peace and Security Agenda at country level.
This session will present outcome 1.2 of the conference, “Implementation of the Youth, Peace and Security agenda at the national level: a guide for public officials”. Young people are an integral part of peacekeeping. The guide provides ideas, examples and suggestions to support government actions and policy changes to make this possible. Democratic Republic of Congo, Jordan, Mexico and Nigeria, followed by a Q&A session and ministerial remarks.
– Ms. Mena Ayazi, Search for Common Ground & US Coalition on Youth, Peace and Security
– Leonardo Parraga, CIVICUS Youth, BogotArt and United Network of Young Peacebuilders
– HE Sunday Dare, Federal Minister of Youth Development and Sports at the Federal Ministry of Youth Development and Sports of Nigeria
– HE Yved Bunkulu Zola, Minister of Youth and National Cohesion, Democratic Republic of Congo
– Mrs. Marie-Rose Tshite, National Technical Secretary R2250/DRC, Democratic Republic
– Mr. Guillermo Rafael Santiago Rodríguez, Director General of the Mexican Youth Institute
– Ms. Katrina Leclerc, Canadian YPS Coalition
– Ms. Reham Ahmed Al-Qudah, National Coalition of Jordanian Youth for Peace and Security 2250
– Mr. Mridul Upadhyay, Youth for Peace International & United Network of Young
– Ms. Celina Del Felice, Youth, Peace and Security Expert and Editor, “Implementing the Youth, Peace and Security Agenda at Country-level: A Guide for Public Officials” – conference outcome 1.2
2) Opening Ceremony of the High Level Global Conference on Youth-Inclusive Peace Processes
Moderator: Ms. Jayathma Wickramanayake, United Nations Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth
– HE Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of the State of Qatar (host)
– HE Antonio Guterres, Secretary General of the United Nations
Animated round table:
– HE Pekka Haavisto, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Finland
– HE María Juliana Ruiz, First Lady of Colombia
– Ms. Anna Maneno, young peacemaker from South Sudan
– Mr. Mohammad Yahya Qanie, young peacemaker from Afghanistan
The virtual global conference aims to: (1) secure national commitments to advance national-level operationalization of the YPS agenda, and (2) build political will and commitment to include youth in peace processes. Interactive and action-oriented discussions will be organized on five themes between high-level government representatives, young women and young men peacebuilders and representatives of intergovernmental organizations, CSOs, academia and donors .
Expected outcomes include a high-level joint statement and guidelines in support of the national-level operationalization of the YPS program, and a five-year strategy on strengthening youth-inclusive peace processes.