Happy Onam 2022 Date, Wishes, Images, Status, Quotes and Importance
Onam is a Hindu harvest festival, celebrated annually in the Indian state of Kerala. It is the major event for all Keralites and is celebrated by everyone regardless of religion. It is a beautiful festival that showcases the diversity and harmony between different communities in the state.
Date Onam 2022
Onam is celebrated for 10 days during the Malayalam month of Chingam which fills people’s hearts with joy and brings them together to be part of this dynamic and cultural festival.
The date of the festival is based on the Panchangam which falls on the 22 nakshatra Thiruvonam of the month of Chingam, which in the Gregorian calendar falls between late August and early September.
In 2022, the Onam festival will start on August 30 and last for September 8, 2022, which is considered the main day of Onam.
Related: Pongal 2022 History, Meaning and More
The reason behind the celebration
According to Hindu mythology, Onam is famous for remembering the golden ruler of King Mahabali, who ruled Kerala and was a demon but renowned for his generosity and kind heart. Legend says that jealous of King Mahabali’s popularity, the devas conspired to end his reign.
They sent Lord Vishnu to earth in the form of a dwarf Brahmin, Vamana, who trampled Mahabali into the underworld. Vamanan asked Mahabali for three feet of land as his wish from the generous Mahabali.
In the first 2 feet, Vamana measured the entire universe, making his third feet nowhere to place. Mahabali offered his own head to place his feet, thus fulfilling the wish. Finally, Lord Vishnu granted the king’s only wish to visit his country and people once a year. That is why his return home is celebrated every year as the Onam festival in Kerala.
Meaning of Onam
Onam holds a lot of importance among the Keralites as well as among the Malayalams living in India and outside. He eliminated all religious disparities and spread harmony in society. Not only Hindus but also Muslims and Christians in the state also celebrate this festival with zeal and enthusiasm.
They enjoy the festival and have their meal together. Among a number of entertaining events held during the festival, the top 5 are:
- Tripunithura Athachamayam
- Pookalam: floral decorations
- Pulikali: The Great Tiger Dance
- Vallamkali: the boat race
- Onam Sadya: The Feast of Onam
Images, quotes and status of Onam 2022
This year, enjoy the festival with all your relatives and friends and spread peace and harmony in society. Moreover, you can wish people by sharing these lovely wishes and quotes on social media:
- I wish this Onam brings much happiness and good fortune in everyone’s life. Happy Onam 2022!
- I pray to God that the spirit of Onam will bloom in your life and make you a good human being
- May this auspicious festival spread peace in society and connect people. Happy Onam!
- Another year, another Onam but the spirit and zeal are the same as always.
- Congratulations to this beautiful Onam festival which fills our hearts with joy and happiness
- May this Onam bring peace, prosperity and happiness in your life.
- May King Mahabali guide us to be a good human being and as generous as he is. Happy Onam!!
- On the occasion of Onam I wish you a wonderful life and a successful career!!
- May this harvest season bring good fortune and bounty of happiness.
- May the almighty forgive all our past mistakes and lead us all to the path of positivity, generosity and happiness. I wish you a very happy new year 2022 to you and your family !!!